This instrument was originally built by George Benson of Manchester in 1889. At that time the keyboards controlled a mechanical action , with pneumatic action on the pedals. It was enlarged in 1928, and received further enlargement in the subsequent rebuild of 1951( including electrification and replacement of the slider chests by cone-pallet chests), both carried out by Whitehouse Bros. of Brisbane. In 1985 J. W. Walker & Sons (Aust) rebuilt the organ with a new console and some new stops, resulting in the following specification:
![]()
| Specifications |
|---|
GREAT
Double Diapason 16'
Open Diapason 8'
Gedact 8'
Gamba 8'
Principal 4'
Harmonic Flute 4'
Fifteenth 2'
Twelfth 2 2/3'
Mixture III
Trumpet 8'
Fifteenth 2'
Mixture II
Trumpet 8'
CHOIR Open Diapason 8' Stop. Diapason 8' Principal 4' Flute 4' Recorder 2' Clarinet 8' Tuba 8' Sesquialtera II Chimes Tremulant SWELL Violin Diapason 8' Rohr Flute 8' Salicional 8' Voix Celestes 8' Gemshorn 4' Koppel Flute 4' Piccolo 2' Mixture III Cornopean 8' Clarion 4' Oboe 8' Tremulant PEDAL Acoustic Bass 32' Open Diapason 16' Bourdon 16' Cello 8' Principal 8' Fifteenth 4' Schalmei 4' Trombone 16' COUPLERS
Swell Super
Swell Sub
Choir Super
Choir Sub
Swell to Great
Swell to Choir
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Choir to Pedal
Choir to Great
ACCESSORIES
Five Thumb Pistons on each manual with signal lights.
Full Organ reversible with light.
Great to Pedal toe piston.
Swell to Great reversible thumb piston.
Great to Pedal Combination coupled reversible with
light by both thumb & toe piston.
General Cancel.
Balanced Swell and Choir Box pedals mechanically
operated.
|
In 2005 a Laukuff electronic capture system with 60 levels was installed by Simon Pierce. This included an extra 12 general pistons, giving much-needed flexibility to an instrument in regular demand for public performance.

